Monday 21 August 2017

Edith Piaf – a fantastic chanteuse





I was reminded of Edith Piaf by a lovely little book – A Paris Year – which I will be posting about soon.  Apparently her final words were "Every damn fool thing you do in this life you pay for".  Since she was French, I imagine this is a translation.

When I was in my 20's I just loved to angst along with Piaf's dramatic and oh so French songs.  My favourite, I think, was Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien (No, I don't regret a thing).  To hear her sing it, pop over to this YouTube clip.

Piaf died in 1963 at the age of 47 – much too young.  Liver cancer got her in the end – but it must be said that she lived pretty hard in many ways for her whole life.

1 comment:

  1. For some reason, Edith Piaf sounds familiar to me! I'll have to check out the youtube. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers