Saturday 19 August 2017

Brushing Up Our Shakespeare – Part I


I was watching a quiz show (The Chase) and there was a question about which Shakespeare play had some quoted lines.  And not only did I not know it, I realise that it is so long since I have even thought about Shakespeare.

The title of this post is derived from the Cole Porter song – Brush Up Your Shakespeare.  It is from his musical – Kiss Me Kate – which was based on The Taming of the Shrew.

So I thought we could all brush up a little bit together.  I have chosen 6 of the plays that I know a bit about and have set out for each one – the first lines and another famous quote.

I hope you enjoy!

I selected these plays with the help of my copy of his collected works – won as a high school prize in 1970 for coming second!

Romeo and Juliet - First lines –
Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.




Hamlet - First lines – are very boring so I won't bother you with them.  Just some chit chat between guards on the catle walls of Elsinore.



Macbeth - First lines – by the 3 Witches
When shall we three meet again?
In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won.


The Merchant of Venice - First lines
In sooth, I know not why I am so sad.



King Lear  - First lines
Another boring lot of lines



Othello - - First lines
Ditto

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers