Monday 19 June 2017

The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel




 
I am just a poor boy
Though my story's seldom told
I have squandered my resistance
For a pocketful of mumbles
Such are promises
All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

When I left my home and my family
I was no more than a boy
In the company of strangers
In the quiet of a railway station
Running scared
Laying low, seeking out the poorer quarters
Where the ragged people go
Looking for the places only they would know

Lie-la-lie...

The Boxer is not my all time favourite Simon & Garfunkel song (maybe Sounds of Silence or even the classic, BOTW).  But it is a great song.

It was released in 1969 so it is coming up to its Golden Anniversary soon!

It's a song of success and failure.  It resonates with us all – even if, like me, you don't have any time for the sport of boxing.

The song is just outside Rolling Stone's top 100 greatest songs of all time.

Click here for an audio of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers