Tuesday 21 March 2017

Corned Beef – A Classic Revisited

Carole's Chatter: Corned Beef - A Classic Revisited


In my book, corned beef is much underrated.  It is great for dinner – and even better next day in corned beef hash cakes.

We often call corned beef “silverside”.

The way I do the corned beef is pretty straightforward.  I rinse it off and then pop it into a large pot and cover it with water.  I add a pinch of whole pepper corns (white or black), a couple of teaspoons of mustard powder (but any sort of mustard would be fine), a dash of vinegar and about 2 dessert spoonfuls of golden syrup (any sort of sugary thing like treacle, honey or maple syrup would work).  Lastly a few bay leaves.  No salt because there is enough in the meat as a result of the corning process.

I simmer that lot for at least a couple of hours (you could go up to 4 but then the results will be very fall apart but still taste nice).  Then I add slices of carrot and small onions and cook until they are tender.

To make the mustard sauce, I simply combine a little crème fraiche or sour cream with some prepared mustard – I like Dijon but whatever you fancy and add salt and white pepper.  If I have a lemon handy I will add a little zest and a small amount of lemon juice to give it some tang.

Serve it on one big platter or on several.  I make heaps because I then use the leftovers to make hash cakes both for the next day and to put in the freezer for a quick and tasty meal when I don’t have time or the inclination to start from scratch.

1 comment:

  1. You convinced me I want to make this your style this month. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers