Tuesday 7 March 2017

Coleslaw – Spicy & Crunchy

Carole's Chatter: Coleslaw - Spicy & Crunchy
Add caption



This is one of the ways I do coleslaw.  The ingredients are:

¼ cabbage – finely shredded
¼ cup or so diced capsicum (called bell pepper in some places)
Thumb of ginger grated finely – I use a microplane
1 teaspoon of chopped green peppercorns or capers
½ fresh red chilli finely sliced
½ corn cob – kernels taken off the cob and cooed
2 gherkins – chopped
2 teaspoons of chilli jam to taste
2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of crème fraiche (entirely optional)
Juice of ¼ lemon
Salt and pepper – I prefer white pepper

Just mix all the ingredients together.  Any leftovers will keep fine in the fridge for a day.  You can mix it together well before you need it unlike other salads.

I also sometimes substitute either mustard or horseradish for the chilli jam/relish.  I don’t put in carrot or things like sultanas – don’t suit my palate but I know other people do.

What do you like to put in your coleslaw?

3 comments:

  1. Not a huge fan of coleslaw...but this looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some cabbage and I am willing to make coleslaw! You do have a few ingredients I am not familiar with! I will do my best!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers