Sunday 1 January 2017

Salmon Wellington – deserving of a reprise

Carole's Chatter: Salmon Wellington


I saw this Salmon Wellington being done by Nigel Slater on Food TV and knew I just had to try it.  The result was fabulous and I'll be sure to do it again.

It's a tad fancier than most things I try to do – and in particular I don't often attempt to do anything that involves pastry.  If you want something that looks stunning and eats well the next day too, then give this a go.

What you'll need:

2 matching sized salmon fillets
1 large cucumber or two small ones
Store bought puff pastry sheets
An egg to do an egg wash (add a splash of milk if you have any)
Dijon mustard – 5 tablespoons
Clear honey – 2 tablespoons
1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
A good handful of fresh dill – chopped
Salt and pepper
A little flour for dusting your board before rolling the pastry


First you make your cucumber based stuffing – peel your cucumbers and then halve them in length and slice.  Mix your cucumber in with the mustard, honey, white wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper.  (Next time I may add a little cayenne pepper – we like a bit of spice)

Let your cucumber mix sit in the fridge while you heat up your oven to a moderate heat – 180 degrees C.

Take your baking sheet and dust with flour – roll out your sheet of puff pastry so it will be big enough to go around the 2 salmon fillets (leaving a gap at the top).  I found I needed to use 2 sheets.


Carole's Chatter: Salmon Wellington


Pin bone your salmon if that hasn't already been done.  Remove the skin from each fillet – this was fiddly and next time I'll ask the fishmonger to do this for me.

Pop one piece of salmon down onto the pastry – I put the curved side down first – but I don't think it matters.  Then put as much of your cucumber mixture as you can on top – don't use it all because it will also be your sauce for the dish.

Put the other salmon fillet on top.

Brush the edges of the pastry with egg wash and then fold it up around the salmon – the egg wash will make it stick.  Then brush all over the pastry (other than the underside) with your remaining egg wash.


Carole's Chatter: Salmon Wellington

Cook in your oven for 45 minutes and that's it!


The Blog of the Month for January is a great food blog called Jenn's Random Scraps  .  Jenn is a Canadian and has been experiencing snow lately.  Very different from summer in New Zealand.  Some of Jenn's recipes that I really like include: Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars and Avocado Quinoa Brownies.

2 comments:

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers