Tuesday 22 November 2016

Home Made Yoghurt Revisited

Carole's Chatter: Homemade Yoghurt


Making your own yoghurt is actually easy to do.  And the amazing thing is that it turned out better in texture than the expensive organic pure yoghurt I used as a starter!

My yoghurt in the pic at the top is flavoured with dots of maple syrup (meant them to be swirls but my hand wasn't steady enough) and pomegranate seeds.  Of course, you can use any flavour you like.

So how did I do it?  First I bought a pint of good quality full fat milk (don't use trim it won't work) and a small pottle of the best natural no added sugar plain yoghurt I could find.

You heat up your milk (I used 400mls) to just on boiling, turn the heat off and leave it to sit until it is between 45 and 50 degrees Celsius.  This only took 5 minutes. 

Then whisk in your yoghurt starter – I used 3 dessertspoonfuls.

I poured it into a container, covered it with clingfilm and wrapped it in a clean tea towel.  Then into the hot water cupboard overnight and you wake up the next morning to your very own yoghurt!

To make some more after that you just keep a few spoonfuls of your yoghurt to add to the next lot of milk.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm I would have never thought of making my own yogurt! This has inspired me!
    I might just try this over the holidays! - Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers