Monday 3 October 2016

Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd


 
There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship smoke on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb.

I came to Pink Floyd rather later than most.  But eventually I caught up with the world and used to play The Dark Side of the Moon – an LP, of course – over and over.

Comfortably Numb was from the bands The Wall album.  The words were by the incomparable Roger Waters and the music by Dave Glimore.  The two were on the verge of an irreparable breach at the time and so the birth of the song was fraught.

The song captures the sadness of the times and the fleeting nature of memory.  If you wan't to remind yourself of the song, head on over to this YouTube clip. Warning – if you are feeling melancholy this probably won't improve your mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers