Monday 23 May 2016

Hotel California by The Eagles



On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here

Today's music comes from the 70's.  That great American group – The Eagles.

Don Henley said the song was about 'loss of innocence, fading glory and decadence'.  Gee, and I thought it was just a great song! 

It is said that this song was the high point for the band and that they went downhill after this – but that's just a matter of opinion!

For a YouTube clip, click here

2 comments:

  1. I adored and still adore the Eagles, I lived in California at a beach town when this song came out I got the LP and played it until I knew most of the words to all of the songs..I don't give mind to what the band said it was about I just loved the melodies and the rhythyms it was time of young for me in my early 20's people were kind and loving and sweet to me, never will it be like that and the place I rented they tore it down and it a huge apt. building and rents for an enormous amount of money now..Times never change but songs dooooo..I mourn the loss of the eagles fellow who just passed from this terrestrial he is my age and I wonder what the you know what happened for him to pass so young. Guess only the songs are what remain of the Eagles, adore Henley he is my hubs age and live in Texas and lives with his wife and 3 teenage kids and unassuming, give a lot to the county where he was born and knows his roots well, that is Texas people for you..I live in the state of Washington and we go to the shore with kindergarten friends I have known and my hubs all our lives, we fish and eat from the sea we feel like millionaires kids grown and in a tiny cabin no less some bring huge motorhomes to the property but we all gather and listen to music Eagles and many 60 and 70 bands that the new musicians just don't get..what a hoot!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers