Sunday 17 April 2016

Lamb Shanks - with Chinese overtones

Carole's Chatter: Lamb Shanks - with Chinese overtones


I have previously done lamb shanks here.  But for some reason it's a couple of years since I've given them a go again.

This version played with Chinese flavours.  What I used:

2 lamb shanks
Oil for browning – I used mustard/chilli/garlic oil
Chinese cooking wine (or sherry)
Soy sauce
Brown sugar
Tomato paste
A little bit of chopped fresh rosemary
½ cup of home made stock
Salt and pepper
1 lonely Brussel sprout
1 stalk of celery
1 carrot

Method:

Heat a casserole dish on the hob (one that can go in the oven and is also ok on the stove top).  Put in your oil.  Brown the lamb shanks.

Add your Chinese cooking wine – and stir to get any stuck on bits off the bottom.

Then add soy sauce, brown sugar (a couple of tablespoons) and the tomato paste.  Add your stock.

Put the lid on and cook in a moderate oven turning now and again.  After about an hour add your chopped carrot, finely diced rosemary, finely peeled and chopped celery and the finely sliced Brussel sprout.

You could add any vegetable you have hanging about in the fridge – which is how the Brussel sprout got there.  The only vegetable that I think is a must have is carrot because it goes so well with lamb.

Serve when just about falling off the bone.  Very hearty and satisfying.

5 comments:

  1. That lone Brussels sprout makes me smile. ;-) Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore lamb shanks... I've never made them with an Asian twist, but why not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of doing lamb shanks with Chinese flavorings, and the lone Brussels Sprout. When I made Brussels sprouts last, several days later I noticed one sprout got missed, all by itself in the veg bin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Brussel sprout could have been the prize, you know, see who got it as it was stopped from the vegetable serving bowl. Haha

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers