Tuesday 22 March 2016

Scalloped Potatoes & Kumara using Pork and Celery Top Stock

Carole's Chatter: Scalloped Potatoes & Kumara using Pork and Celery Top Stock


Recently I made some nice jelly like Pork and Celery Top stock (or broth) which I forgot to post about.  I thought it would be nice to see if it would give some scalloped potatoes a nice flavour.

First I put on the oven to heat.  I then oiled a pie dish with
Olive oil and a little mustard oil.

I sliced up some kumara (sweet potato) and potatoes quite thinly – by hand since I don't have a mandolin.

I put them into the pie dish in layers, seasoning each layer with salt and Pepper as I went.  There was no salt at all in the stock so I didn't have to worry about that.

I poured over the stock (in this case a thawed ice cube tray full) and added a splosh of sherry for luck.

I thought about putting cheese on the top but decided not to and just popped on a few knobs of butter.

This took under an hour to cook.  Because I didn't have the oven up high the colour was a subtle golden rather than very brown.

The potatoes were tasty – and I think were enhanced by the quality home made stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers