Tuesday 15 March 2016

Porky Pasta

Carole's Chatter: Porky Pasta


First, apologies for the somewhat dorky alliterative name of this dish.  I was not feeling particularly creative!

I had a piece of pork fillet.  I trimmed it off that silvery stuff that is tough even when raw.  I then sliced the fillet pretty thinly. 

I made up a marinade of fish sauce (for saltiness), soy sauce (also a bit salty), ½ a finely diced jalapeno (for heat), white pepper (also for heat) and a splosh of Chinese cooking wine (for slight acidity).  I marinated the pork in the fridge for about 4 hours.  Looking back at this marinade I realise that I should have added a touch of sweetness as well for balance.

I fried a cup of orzo (teensy pasta) in a mixture of oil and butter for a couple of minutes and then added my fabulous pork and celery broth.

I then added the pork and some mixed frozen vegetables – used as a last resort because I was out of fresh.  I added some fresh herbs from my garden. 

Once the orzo was tender I tasted the dish to check whether it needed more salt – the broth has no salt in it.  It didn't need more but did need a little kick so I added a teaspoon of sherry vinegar.

This is a very simple dish – what made it taste good, was using a good home made stock (most people would call it a bone broth but somehow I prefer to call it a stock).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carole,
    Your Porky Pasta looks wonderful! Hope you have a very special week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers