Tuesday 22 December 2015

Goat Curry or Curry Goat? A First For Me

Carole's Chatter: Curry Goat

When I saw some goat meat in the supermarket, at first I couldn't quite believe my eyes and then I knew it was a sign that I had to try it.  I decided to make the Jamaican dish Curry Goat which I first heard about on an Ainsley programme.  It is a hearty and honest dish.

The meat is marinated for a minimum of overnight (mine ended up being 2 days) in a marinade made of the following:

¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup curry powder
Garlic oil
Tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
Tablespoon ground black pepper
Teaspoon dried oregano
Teaspoon of chilli flakes
To cook your curry you brown the goat in the roasting pan and then add 2 cups each of coconut milk and water.  I used light coconut milk – this was a mistake because full fat coconut milk wouldn't have split.  And then you cook it in the oven on a low temperature for about 6 hours.  You have to cook it long and low because goat is not fatty and it will be tough if cooked more quickly or at a higher heat.

Then add ¼ cup of spring onion tops, ½ cup of chopped capsium (bell pepper), ¼ cup of chopped carrot and 4 bay leaves.  Simmer for another hour to hour and a half.

Serve with rice.  Not a restaurant quality dish but an honest one with pretty basic ingredients.  Next time I would add a bit of salt in the last part of the cook.  The heat of the curry was very good – not too biting but definitely a good amount of heat.  The sauce was a bit watery for my taste – you could solve that by reducing it at the end or by adding some cream or cornflour.

And what does goat taste like?  Well, actually, we didn't find it had any particularly distinctive flavour – sort of between beef and lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers