Monday 7 September 2015

The Rev Robert Walker Skating on Duddingston Loch by Sir Henry Raeburn



The Rev Robert Walker Skating on Duddingston Loch may not be the snappiest of titles but there is something very appealing about this painting.  It was done around 1795 but to me has a modern feel (not the Rev's outfit of course).  Duddingston Loch is a natural loch found in Holyrood Park in Edinburgh.

I certainly wish I could glide along like this!

You will find the original in the National Gallery of Scotland in Edinburgh.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that painting - one of the highlights of my trip to Edinburgh back in 2003 was to go in the Nat Gallery of Scotland and see that painting on display. What was he thinking about? was he planning next Sunday's sermon? or wondering how to pay for repairs to the church roof? or praying that a difficult parishioner would move away to the Orkneys? And such well turned ankles, for a bloke, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks ethereal.
    It takes an extreme winter to freeze out that body of water, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers