Tuesday, 22 September 2015

Shepherd's Pie (with no onion or garlic)

Carole's Chatter: Shepherd's Pie (with no onion or garlic)

 
Since I've been avoiding garlic and onion – and been much better for it too – I have avoided making classics that rely on those ingredients.  But I decided to give Shepherd's Pie a go.  Shepherd's Pie is traditionally made from leftover lamb and mashed potatoes.  If you make it with mince (ground beef) it is then called a cottage pie.

So first I gently heated some oil in my casserole dish – which can also go onto the top of the stove.  I added a few spices to the oil – cumin, chilli powder, turmeric, asafoetida and let the flavours meld for a minute or two. 

Carole's Chatter: Shepherd's Pie (with no onion or garlic)


I then added some finely diced carrot and freshly grated ginger – a good knob.  If you wanted to add onion and garlic this is when you'd add it.

I added some finely chopped fresh herbs – rosemary (a smidge only), thyme, chives and basil together with a couple of bay leaves which I left in large pieces so I could fish them out later.

While this is sautéing very gently I chopped up the leftover lamb (reserving the bones in the freezer for making stock later). 

You add the lamb, a tin of chopped tomatoes, some tomato paste, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, porcini powder, a teaspoon of sugar, a splash of lemon juice and stir.


Carole's Chatter: Shepherd's Pie (with no onion or garlic)

Just let that keep cooking gently while you prepare your mashed potatoes.


Carole's Chatter: Shepherd's Pie (with no onion or garlic)

Spoon your mashed potato on the top – I went for the rustic look.  Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and grated cheese and a few dobs of butter.

I prepared this a bit in advance so at this point I popped the dish into the fridge but you could cook it right away.

To finish it just needs to be baked in a moderate oven until it is piping hot and the topping is nice and brown.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the difference between Shepherd's Pie, and Cottage Pie. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. Cheers