Monday 14 September 2015

I Heard It Through the Grapevine by Marvin Gaye



I bet you're wonderin' how I knew
'Bout your plans to make me blue
With some other guy you knew before
Between the two of us guys
You know I loved you more
It took me by surprise I must say
When I found out yesterday
Don't you know that I heard it through the grapevine
Not much longer would you be mine


This fabulous Motown hit was not first recorded by Marvin Gaye.  In fact it was recorded by Gladys Knight and the Pips.  It was recut for Marvin Gaye and he recorded it quite reluctantly.  It wasn't released for quite a long time.  No one expected it to be a hit but it turned out to be Motown's biggest hit  in their first 20 years.

I became fond of it as a result of it being played at the beginning of that great move The Big Chill.  This is how the movie started – YouTube clip ( 4 mins 21)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers