Monday 23 March 2015

Nostalgia alert!

Seasons in the Sun

 
Goodbye to you my trusted friend
We've known each other since we were nine or ten
Together we've climbed hills and trees
Learned of love and ABC's
Skinned our hearts and skinned our knees

Goodbye my friend it's hard to die
When all the birds are singing in the sky
Now that spring is in the air
Pretty girls are everywhere
Think of me and I'll be there

We had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun
But the hills that we climbed were just seasons out of time

I have always loved the song Seasons in Sun – even though it's a bit sad.  But I didn't know that the song was originally written in French by a Belgian under the title Le Moribond – which certainly sounds even gloomier!

The most famous version, apparently, was in 1974  by a Canadian singer I have never heard of before – Terry Jacks.  The song was covered by Westlife in 1999.

To hear a version of this song by The Beach Boys just head on over to this YouTube clip.

1 comment:

  1. And, so it was...Terry Jacks was very well known in the sixties. He was also part of a group called the Poppy Family. There was a local television program on CBC called Let's Go, out of Vancouver British Columbia. He, and his wife Susan did very well for themselves. She preferred to do concerts and he preferred recording in the studio. I saw her in Vancouver in the seventies, she is not a bad singer, but not a very good entertainer......

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers