Tuesday 2 December 2014

Baked Apple

Carole's Chatter: Baked Apple


The last time I baked an apple before this one, if I remember correctly, was when I was about 10 – we had a cooking class once a week and this was one of the dishes we did along with other classics such as scones and toad in the hole.

I turned to Dorie Greenspan for advice – but then only partly followed it – sigh!

The result tasted good although one of the apples fell apart a bit – I didn't take a pic of that one, naturally!

Preheat your oven to moderately hot.

Core your apples – not all the way through but almost all the way so your stuffing won't fall out of the bottom of the apple.
I didn't have an apple corer so used a small knife – a bit awkward but I managed.

Slit around the middle of the apple horizontally because this will allow the apple to expand without exploding.  And check the skins of your apples for stickers – not a good idea to leave them on!

Stuff your apples with a mixture of your choosing – I used candied fruit peel, honey, chopped brazil nuts plus a pinch of salt and ground ginger.

Before putting the stuffing in put a knob of butter at the base of each hole and then put another knob on the top of the stuffing.

Put your apples into a snug baking dish with some water and sherry.  Bake for about 50 minutes – basting with the liquid every 15 minutes of so.

I served the baked apple with crème fraiche but it would be nice with cream or ice cream too.

2 comments:

  1. I made baked apples last week, didn't use your techniques, and was sorely disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers