Tuesday 12 November 2013

Zucchini cakes


Zucchini cakes by Carole's Chatter


These simple little Zucchini cakes will jazz up any weekend lunch.  This time I just did them plain with tomatoes and scrambled egg.  But they are just great with some crispy bacon on top with a drizzle of sweet chili sauce.

To make them you just grate up your zucchini's (courgettes).  Then squeeze as much moisture out of it as you can with layers of kitchen towel.  This step is important because the cakes will fall apart if too much moisture is left in.

Then mix the grated zucchini up with a handful of grated Parmesan cheese, a tablespoon or 2 of breadcrumbs (to help deal with any remaining moisture), an egg, and salt and pepper.

Form the cakes with slightly wet hands.  I fried these ones up straight away and they still held together – courtesy of the egg, I think.

I fried them in a neutral oil until golden brown on both sides (about 3-4 minutes each side) and then popped them into a low oven to stay warm while I was doing the scrambled eggs to go with them.



Pin It

3 comments:

  1. yummy!!! These were some of my favourite growing up. They are delicious, I add one small onion and a bit of grated garlic in to the mixture. Great alternative to meatballs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do sound yummy. I love zucchini and I always have an excess when it is in season, so I'm always looking for good recipes. I'll definitely keep this one on file.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious.

    My pancake zucchini and/or potatoes NEVER stay together. :(

    THANKS for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers