Monday 1 July 2013

Richard Killeen

Richard Killeen cut out


One of the things I like about Richard Killeen, the New Zealand contemporary artist, is that he often creates works that let their owner be part of the art.  What I mean is that his cut out works – which are made up of individual pieces with a little hole in them for having – each piece will only hang one way but how they are arranged is entirely up to the person hanging it.

Richard Killeen painting


Even in his more conventional works, there seem to be mainly collections of shape and colour.

Richard Killeen - Jar of Traffic


Richard Killeen - painting in a jar


Killeen is far from a one trick pony but I have to admit his cut-outs are my favourites – although the paintings in a jar are great, too.



If you would like to read more about Richard Killeen, there is a book by Francis Pound "Stories we tell ourselves" (1999, Auckland Art Gallery) which is about Killeen's paintings.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. very cool! I love the designs! Have a happy Sunday and be sure to check out my blog! .

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers