Thursday, 18 July 2013

Jane Austen

Jane Austen "My Dear Cassandra"
I almost didn't post about the wonderful author Jane Austen – so many people, much more knowledgeable than I will ever be, have written so much about her and her work!

But I find her life quite inspiring.  She lived what was a pretty ordinary circumscribed life but created a lasting legacy through writing.  An inspiration for all bloggers too.

Like almost everyone, my favourite book is Pride and Prejudice.  I have read the others but I keep coming back to this one.  Not so much for Mr Darcy – more for the wonderful character she created in Elizabeth Bennett.

I found my most available and reliable source about Jane Austen to be a book I've had for a long time – Jane Austen 'My Dear Cassandra'.  It was published by Collins & Brown in 1990 and is quite delightful.  It contains a selection of letters Jane wrote to her sister Cassandra illustrated with drawings from the period.

Here is an extract from a letter she wrote at 20 – you can already see the talent:

"I am very grand indeed; I had the dignity of dropping out my mother's laudanum last night.  I carry about the keys of the wine and closet, and twice since I began this letter have had orders to give in the kitchen.  Our dinner was very good yesterday, and the chicken boiled perfectly tender; therefore I shall not be obliged to dismiss nanny on that account. Mrs Hall, of Sherborne, was brought to bed yesterday fo a dead child, some weeks before she expec6ted, owing to a fright.  I suppose she happened unawares to look at her husband…."

And here's an extract from a letter she wrote towards the end of her life to Fanny Knight:

"You are inimitable, irresistible.  You are the delight of my life.  Such letters, such entertaining letters, as you have lately sent! – such a description of your queer little heart! – such a lovely display of what imagination does.  You are worth your weight in gold, or even in the new silver coinage…"
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this book. I love all her books but I think Persuasion is her best. Thanks for youur kind comments the other week. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book too, and I love it. I so much agree with you - it's a joy to read, and her tone is so funny and recognizable, yet different from the books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a link you may be interested in. It's a cookbook based on recipes either mentioned in Austen's books or common at the time. http://www.janeausten.co.uk/online-magazine/regency-recipes/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is lovely to read your post about Jane Austen, if we all would go for who knows most, none of us would write a lot. I know I wouldn't write anything, there are so many people out there who have studied literature and know much more than I do.

    But we all love talking about our favourites, don't we? Jane Austen is definitely my favourite, and even though I have read all her novels, this is still on my wishlist.

    Keep blogging because we like to read your posts.

    Marianne from Let's Read

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. Cheers