Sunday 21 July 2013

Cheats Fish Burgers

Cheats Fish Burgers by Carole's Chatter

I felt like a fish burger, and, no I didn't send the better half off to McDonalds or equivalent.  We had some snap frozen pre-crumbed fish fillets in the freezer.  They were hoki fillets with a lemon pepper crumb.  I just looked hoki up on Wikipedia so I could tell you what sort of fish it is, and what do you know, it is used by McDonalds in their Filet o Fish in the States!  You can only get it in Australian and New Zealand waters.  Other names for hoki include Blue Grenadier and Blue Hake.

You can fry the frozen fillets but I prefer them baked in the oven.  I do them for a bit longer than it says on the packet – don't you find they usually understate cooking times?

Cheats Fish Burgers by Carole's Chatter

So I had some baps left from when I did my Sloppy Josephines.  I just cut them diagonally.

I popped a cabbage leaf square into each bap as a sort of shelf.  I prepared some thinly sliced radish, chilli and tomato.

I made a sauce with some leftover garlic butter, crème fraiche, chopped capers, mayo, lemon juice, chilli jam and salt and pepper.  Just mixed it all up – no cooking.


When the fish was cooked I only had to do a quick assembly job – very easy and better, in my opinion, than what we could have bought ready made. 
Pin It

13 comments:

  1. They sure look good... and much healthier baked than fried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Have a great weekend and hope to see you soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look like really good fish sandwiches -- much better than McDonalds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea for a quick supper. The sauce sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes a quick -- yet healthful -- sandwich is just what's called for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm... that does sound like a delicious meal. I've never had hoki (I don't remember ever ordering a Filet-o-Fish, so I can't even claim that!), but I do like white fish, so I'm sure I'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice evening snack especially in week-ends. Good that you have made it much healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so funny that it was the same fish as you might have gotten if you ran out to McDonalds! I'm sure yours were much tastier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good, easy meal. Just what the doctor ordered! P.S. I'm sure yours were way better than McDonald's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this fish sandwich looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. McDonalds lite, nice. Looks amazing too. -Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  12. I often make a fish sandwich when I'm looking for a quick dinner. Sometimes I buy the frozen pre-crumbed ones (but never seen Hoki!), other times I bread my own. But it's always a tasty meal. The very rare time I get dragged to McDonalds (usually on a road trip with a bunch of other people) my go-to order is a filet o' fish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh sounds tasty :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers