Monday 17 June 2013

Ralph Hotere





Today's art post is about a New Zealand artist who died not very long ago – Ralph Hotere (1931-2013).

He was born in the Hokianga  (one of 15 children) and that is where his tangi and funeral were held – a moving occasion from the TV images I saw.

Aramoana - by Ralph Hotere


Hotere incorporated words into some of his images and also did works in support of various causes such as his Aramoana series which was to protest the putting of an aluminium smelter there – the protesters were successful and it didn't happen.

Ralph Hotere


Quite a lot of his later works utilised corrugated iron and old timber.

Ralph Hotere


While his colour range is a bit too dark for me, there is no denying the power of his work.  Hotere almost never spoke about his work, preferring it to speak for itself.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this artist. I love his work! Sorry he is no longer around to create more. Headed to see what I can find on him, so thanks for turning me on to a new artist!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers