Saturday 26 January 2013

St Malo



For this week's travel post, let me take you back to France – to Brittany to be exact.

St Malo is an old walled city on the French side of La Manche (the English Channel – for some reason the French don't call it that…)

St Malo at one time was notorious for being the home port for pirates and privateers.

It is now probably the most visited place in Brittany.  And Mont St Michel is only 50k away to the East.

The city got its name from a Welsh monk who came to Brittany in 538.

It was a self-declared independent republic for 4 years from 1590.


There is lots to see but the highlight for me is walking along the old ramparts of the citadel.  It would take about 2 hours to walk right round – which I didn't because it was far too hot.

You can catch a ferry from St Malo to Portsmouth in the UK.


This is St Malo's coat of arms.


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I would go there and yes, I'd want to walk all around but on a temperate day. Thanks for warming up my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic photos. It was fun for me to see this post. France is another place I haven't been. Would love to visit the places you mentioned here.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome. I have currently disabled anonymous comments due to unwanted spam. Cheers